MONTEREY, Calif. (August 15, 2015) – Galpin Auto Sports and Henrik Fisker unveiled the latest iteration of the “Ultimate American Muscle Car” today at the 2015 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance; the 2015 Rocket Speedster Concept. Following a short drive onto the legendary Pebble Beach Concept Lawn, Henrik Fisker and Galpin Motors President, Beau Boeckmann introduced the convertible carbon fiber-bodied super-Mustang, intended for low-volume production. The car was featured as one of only a few special designer cars in front the Lodge at Pebble Beach.
Featuring a fully integrated carbon fiber speedster cover that transforms the four-seat convertible into a two-seat speedster, this new edition Rocket maintains exceptional visual drama and performance with the top up or down. As with the Rocket Coupe, the Concept carries a carbon fiber hood feeding air into the supercharged 725-hp V8 engine through two sculpted air intakes, aiding the grill and front splitter in maintaining optimal cooling and aerodynamics.
Constructed by GFMI Metalcrafters, Inc. in Fountain Valley, Calif., headed by CEO Mike Alexander, the handcrafted bodywork integrates a number of key aerodynamic elements to channel airflow for necessary cooling and downforce. Two additional air scoops, mounted on the rear fenders ahead of the wheels, help direct fresh air to cool oversized 15-inch Brembo Gran Turismo high performance brakes. The entire package sits on special 21-inch metallic red color-keyed five-spoke alloy wheels.
“When I worked on the Rocket Speedster project with Beau, the creativity sparks were constantly in the air,” said Fisker. “When I was designing the speedster cover, I gave it extreme sculpture and dynamic lines that flows with the muscular body of the Rocket and created a new interior graphic to go with it. I’m very excited to unveil the Rocket Speedster at the Pebble Beach concept lawn with Beau.”
The inspiration from the 1960s and early 1970s specialty pony cars remains completely intact, while the all carbon fiber bodywork has been thoroughly reworked to accentuate the convertible’s aggressive muscular proportions. The Concept’s exterior is finished in a deep metallic red, highlighting visible polished carbon fiber stripes extending from the imposing hexagonal carbon fiber grill to the speedster cover featuring exposed carbon fiber air outlets. To reduce air turbulence, the speedster cover’s air outlets are also equipped with an integrated mesh directly behind the driver and passenger, allowing air to pass smoothly over the redesigned lower rear deck.
“Henrik’s original design sketches for the Rocket gave me chills and the convertible is no different,” said Beau Boeckmann, President of Galpin Motors. “This Speedster Concept has added another layer of style to the car without losing an ounce of the incredible beauty of the coupe. It really has been a dream collaboration, combining Henrik’s design execution with the performance and customization expertise of the Galpin Auto Sports team.”
The original Rocket Coupe design was first unveiled as a prototype at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show, receiving widespread praise from both the international media and the public. Just four and a half months later, the first production model of the Rocket Coupe debuted at the 2015 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, representing the first example of the limited production run.
Just like its coupe predecessor, the Rocket Speedster is not a one-off concept. Interested buyers will have the option of purchasing a car through Galpin Ford directly or through one of several hand-picked dealers across the country and around the world.
- Wards Auto – Galpin, Fisker Offer Rocket Speedster Concept – September 14, 2015
- Motoroids.com – The 2016 Galpin Fisker Speedster is the ultimate drop-top Ford Mustang – August 24, 2015
- Men’s Journal – Our Favorite Cars From This Year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance – August 2015
- Gizmag – Fisker and Galpin transform the Mustang into 725-hp Rocket Speedster – August 20, 2015
- SVT Performance – News: 2015 Rocket Mustang Speedster – August 18, 2015
- CarScoops.com – Galpin-Fisker Rocket Speedster Arrives Topless At Pebble Beach – August 17, 2015
- Digital Trends – Galpin-Fisker’s Rocket Speedster Mustang wows Pebble Beach with 725 topless horsepower – August 17, 2015
- Practical Motoring – Ford Mustang-based 2015 Galpin Rocket Speedster revealed – August 17, 2015
- InAutoNews – Galpin Auto Sports Fisker Rocket Speedster introduced – August 17, 2015
- Motor Trend – Galpin-Fisker Rocket Speedster is a 725-HP Carbon Fiber Roadster – August 16, 2015
- Motor Authority – Galpin And Henrik Fisker Unveil Ford Mustang-Based Rocket Speedster – August 16, 2015
- Car and Driver – 2016 Ford Mustang Galpin Rocket Speedster: Fisker’s Dream Mustang Loses Its Lid – August 16, 2015
- Automotive Magazine – Galpin-Fisker Rocket Speedster is a Drop-Top Carbon Fiber Mustang – August 16, 2015
- GTSpirit.com – Monterey 2015: Galpin Fisker Rocket Speedster Concept – August 16, 2015
- Automotive News – Henrik Fisker designs exotic convertible for Galpin – August 16, 2015
- NSEAVOICE – Behold, 2016 Ford Mustang Gets Mated With Chevy Front-End – August 16, 2015
- AutoBlog.com – Galpin-Fisker Rocket shows up topless in Monterey – August 15, 2015
- AutoGuide.com – Galpin Fisker Rocket Drops the Top at Pebble Beach – August 15, 2015